Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Owl from Turkey

The man got back from a 3-week trip to Turkey this week and he brought me a sweet little carved owl from the Mediterranean coast. Check it:


Pretty cool, huh? I have a small owl collection - sort of a subset of my h'ween collection - that I'm really trying to keep that way, but this is a worthy addition. I know full well how trendy owls have become the last few years and they've probably jumped the shark by now, god willing. But for me, they have special resonance.

As kids, our house sat on a hill in Danville and a huge great horned owl - who must have lost his way from Mt. Diablo - used to swoop down and hang out on our balcony. He even got comfortable enough to let my brother feed him chopped meat from a heavily gloved hand. We called him Owly. Yeah, we were super clever kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment